Thursday 19 August 2010

Coast to Coast 2010 - Day 14

Blakey Ridge to Grosmont - 18 Aug

Our tents and nerves were severely tested last night. I'm accustomed to the Terra Nova Laser Competition tent flapping about somewhat in the wind but it was gusting almost gale force ovenight and accompanied by driving rain.

I'm zipped in three times: sleeping bag, inner and outer tent, so the prospect of trying to get out should the tent come down kept me awake.

The tent is truly excellent though. I should have known that of course, but last night's experience has left me completely reassured of that fact. I use the pole hood, Bryn doesn't. Both tents were still totally secure in the morning, waking to a bright fresh morning, having dropped off eventually.

Bryn made the coffee. I made the porridge. The pub opens the door at 07:30 for campers to use the facilities and we were off soon after, others waiting for breakfast from 08:30.

Yet another fine walk; roads and tracks, high up over spacious moorland, giving way eventually to famland and settlements.

Another great walk. You should try it.

Image: View from Glaisdale Moor.

No comments: