Tuesday 13 May 2014

South West Coast Path - Day 10


The magic of the SWCP disappeared for me when the sea on my right became estuary and the hills ahead levelled out. The path between Braunton and Westward Ho! will bring variety to the longer distance walker but it is not a route that particularly appeals to me.

So after a semi-idle day in Barnstaple today, I'm heading back to Minehead by trains and bus tomorrow and will make my way home on Wednesday.

I've covered modest distances hampered somewhat by a dodgy left knee. I had treatment for it earlier in the year when for a time I wasn't able to walk at all. It seems the knee needs more time or treatment to mend.

There are inspirational words by Charles Kingsley in his "Westward Ho!" which make me want to pick up this path again from there ...

"To landward all richness, softness and peace; to seaward, a waste and howling wilderness of rock and roller, barren to the fisherman and hopeless to the shipwrecked mariner."

Sent from Samsung Mobile

17 comments:

J_on_tour said...

One thing I've learned about walking is there are no prizes for doing everything yesterday as it were, it's about the enjoyment of being able to drink it in. Look after yourself and no doubt you'll be here again for the next stage.

PS that's a wonderful building, the only time I was in Barnstable was in my rail rover days (september 89) and I never had time to take a proper look around to see this. I guess a lesson I've learned that takes me full circle back to the start of this comment.

J_on_tour said...

http://iphoneogenic.wordpress.com/2013/03/18/prespectivecorrect/

Further to a question on my blog you asked, not sure if this link is what you are looking for.

Unknown said...

Thanks J.

That's just the sort of thing I was taking about. I'm away from home again at the moment but I'll check it out on my return.

Sam Anderson said...

I love to see and walk around the SouthWest coast path not only to enjoy but also exploring new things. Great! cheap airport parking

Shady Marshall said...

Planned to trip Southwest Coast this year.Thanks for the great informaton

Meet and Greet Gatwick

cheap airport parking said...

I love to visit new places and planned a trip next month, UK to Russia

john smith said...

It's Awesome and I really appreciate you for doing that kind of work, and now I must add this place in my trip list.
cheap airport parking

john smith said...

That is great the places you visits are really good and I am very interested in visit south west coast path. Thanks for this awesome work.
cheap Luton airport parking

Manchester airport parking said...

This is stunning blog and have very informative about airport parking .Keep sharing
Thanks

Manchester airport parking said...

Thanks, I Think this place is not much expensive to visit and also so beautiful to visit

Sophie Grace said...

Thanks for sharing the post. Its a useful information for many people keith flint net worth

Jesse leon said...

I must appreciate your work well done keep it up.
parking at heathrow

Jasper Milo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jasper Milo said...

Amazing post. You explained very well.
london gatwick parking

Gatwick Airport parking said...

This is very helpful for me to planned my next trip

Michael Ruth said...

Excellent thoughts shared. Happy to see you again. Keep sharing good work.
Heathrow airport cheap parking
airport parking Heathrow

Parken Flughafen Vergleich said...

Best thoughts shared here. Brain walking is just the same with airport parking. Parkplatz Flughafen Frankfurt is a real and difficult brain walking. Keep sharing good ideas. I like them!