Friday 12 November 2010

On A Whim And A Prayer

As I suspected and hoped, retirement is freedom; freedom, amongst other things, to choose if and when to do something. And so, I'm off to Yorkshire on Monday for a few days on a whim and a prayer.

The whim is in the going and the prayer is a common enough English one - for fair weather. Yes, I know it's November but nothing ventured nothing gained.

We're an ageing threesome. Officially, I'll be a Pensioner next year. Holly my 11 year old Border Terrier is probably one now in dog years and the Grampervan (my J Reg, VW T4 Campervan) looks like one.

We are raring to go though. And, no matter if the prayer isn't answered in full. A fresh wind and sleety rain should blow and wash away the cobwebs, and work up a healthy thirst and appetite. Our first stop is Thornton-le-Dale where it is said there are three pubs and a fish and chip shop.

Holly

6 comments:

J_on_tour said...

I remember vaguely stopping at Thornton-le-Dale a long time ago, nice place to start. You have given me a thirst ... for reading this next sequence of posts and I'm looking forward to the direction in which you and the blog are going to take.

Alan Sloman said...

Hope you have a great time - at least you will be in the warm & dry. A BT I know hates camping in winter! Wise move taking the T4 Brian!

TrevorW�� said...

As you say Brian- Retirement is freedom-living the dream whatever the dream might be.
Have a good trip and I look forward to reading the posts about it.

Unknown said...

J - It's a Yorkshire Whim-ble: anything goes. Ideally though, not too far for Holly, not too soft underground for the Grampervan and a friendly pub nearby so's its not too dry on the inside for me.

Alan - Thanks. This BT likes the cold and the mud.

Trevor - Network permitting, I hope to blog about it here.

Brian

Mike Knipe said...

North Yorks Moors are the drier side of Yorkshire, I believe.
You're in with a chance, so.
Enjoy!

Unknown said...

Thanks Mike - A pity that Bill Foggitt isn't still about.

Although I'm going whatever of course, so I'm reminded of:

Whether the weather be fine
Or whether the weather be not
Whether the weather be cold
Or whether the weather be hot
We'll weather the weather
Whatever the weather
Whether we like it or not.

Brian