Sunday 24 October 2010

The New Term - 1

According to the BBC this morning, it will be sunny in Coniston on Tuesday 26th October. I hope that the forecasters are proved right about that; I'm taking two of my grandchildren, Tara and Rueben, to The Lake District and Tuesday is pencilled in for a climb up The Old Man of Coniston - T&R's first mountain. I don't anticipate problems if it rains whilst we are out walking but getting the beds off their back if it's pouring outside won't be pleasant. And it is a holiday. Not my normal walking holiday though.

Monday we drive up there, Tuesday walking, Wednesday partying, Thursday shopping, Friday home. Plan B, a wet weather programme, is that activities on Tuesday and Thursday can be transposed. A compromise (an unbelievably hard one for me to bear) is that T&R can sleep in on Wednesday and Thursday.

For the children it will be a half-term holiday.

For me it's an end-of-term holiday.

I joined the ranks of the retired this month and can now look forward to a new term where there is more time to do the things that I would like to do rather than must do.

4 comments:

-maria- said...

I found your blog only recently; I guess this is my first comment here.

It is really great that you take your grandchildren out hiking - I'm sure that they enjoy it and that the hikes will create some long lasting good memories. Hope the weather is in your favour next week.

And happy retirement!

Alan Sloman said...

Happy retirement Brian! A great start to it too, celebrating with your grandchildren.

J_on_tour said...

Sounds like a relaxing week.
I hope your grandchildren become inspired....seeds of growth for the future. Best wishes on your retirement, enjoy it.

Unknown said...

Hi Maria. Yes, I'm sure my grandchildren will look back with fond memories of our adventure. They might not totally agree with us at the time though.

Alan, Thanks, as always.

J, Not so sure about "relaxing". We'll give it our best shot though. (BTW - Congratulations on winning that fleece.)

Brian