Monday 12 May 2014

South West Coast Path - Day 9

Sun 11 May - Braunton to Barnstaple.

Cyclists!! I could fill this page and more about them today. But I won't because there wouldn't be a kind word anywhere and it'll do no good.

The five and a half mile route from Braunton town centre to Barnstaple follows the former railway once used by the Atlantic Coast Express. It is also a public footpath, a National Trail (SWCP), a Recreational Trail (The Tarka Trail), and it's the tarmac'd National Cycle Network (NCN) Route 27. Regrettably, MOST cyclists use it as their own with special disregard for pedestrians.

I now need a plan, to change the plan that I don't really have. The 10 mile route ahead to Bideford is almost wholly NCN 3 and I don't want to risk another day spoilt in the same fashion as today.

I'm spending the day in Barnstaple where there is much to explore, eat and drink. There will be time to review my options.

Sent from Samsung Mobile

No comments: